Friday 15 August 2014

'Nutella Creams' Recipe And The Quest Of A Greedy Child.

Nutella Creams Recipe by A Rhubarb Rhapsody

I was a determined 5 year old. After days of trying I'd finally managed to nab the jar of Nutella, which my Mum had desperately tried to hide at the back of the pantry. I'd climbed shelf after shelf until my prize was in sight. I quickly nabbed it, and dashed off to my bedroom with teaspoon in hand. Quietly closing my door, I searched for a secret nook where my gorging could take place in peace. My mountainous toy basket was suited to the task perfectly. I sat cross-legged, clutching the jar, shoveling spoonful after spoonful of Nutella into my happy little face.

Nutella Creams Recipe by A Rhubarb Rhapsody


I eventually realised if I finished the jar my Mum would notice and my secretive exploit would unravel. So, I left a thin coating around the inside of the jar to make sure it still looked full. After checking to make sure the coast was clear I stealthed back to the kitchen, conquered the pantry shelves and returned the jar to it's original position. I was victorious! I'm sure my Mum must've quickly discovered my deception but she never said a word, as a fellow Nutella fiend I think she understood.

Nutella Creams Recipe by A Rhubarb Rhapsody


I'd like to say I'm trustworthy around Nutella now, but it isn't true. I always have a jar (or two) hidden away in my pantry. Out of sight out of mind, right? It works occasionally.

Do you have a food that you just can't resist? What lengths have you gone to to get it?



Nutella Creams

Recipe from 'Nutella: The 30 Best Recipes'
Total time: 30 minutes prep and cooking + 4 hours chilling
Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 3 egg yolks 
  • ​25g (2 Tbsp) caster/superfine sugar
  • 250ml (1 cup) whole milk
  • 125ml (1/2 cup) single/light cream
  • 180g Nutella

Method
  1. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl until they are pale and frothy.
  2. Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a saucepan. Pour this hot mixture onto the egg yolks, beating continuously. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat, leave to cool for 10 minutes, then gradually add the Nutella, mixing it in thoroughly until it is well combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into 4 individual moulds or 4 glass yoghurt pots, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
P.S I served mine topped with whipped cream and some home made choc-coated hazelnuts. Plus a glass of Tia Maria to wash it down. But these are definitely good enough all on their own.





4 comments:

  1. Such a cute story! I think I have always been more into savoury food - even as a child, I usually sneak into the kitchen to get myself the salty snacks. But I can certainly see the appeal of Nutella, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah that's a cute little story. I've grown into a dessert fiend in the nighttime these days, with the monstrous capability of engulfing whole (large) packets of Timtams within minutes! Guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nutella! I'm very impressed by your sneakiness as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhahaha! What a great story. Love this. Sneak on :D

    ReplyDelete