Are you a gnocchi fan? I love those peculiar, starchy morsels. They call out for rich and indulgent sauces. I try to save my heavy, creamy sauces for gnocchi. Additionally, I prefer to lavish my bowl of gnocchi with a sky high pile of freshly shaved, quality cheese. I give up all hope of it being a healthy meal and I relish in all that flavour and fat.
Sadly, this recipe isn't creamy but I make up for that with a decent chunk of butter. It's got a bit of zing and bite thanks to the chilli and lemon, which cuts through the richness just enough. It's quick, simple and has a reassuringly short ingredient list. Perfect for a hurried midweek dinner!
Pan Fried Gnocchi with Lemon, Basil & Chilli
Recipe by A Rhubarb Rhapsody
Yield: Serves 4
- 500g gnocchi
- 75g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chillies (add more if you'd like it spicy), seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/2 lemon, zest removed and juiced
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, finely sliced
- shaved pecorino cheese for serving
- Cook gnocchi in salted, boiling water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Cover and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the gnocchi and cook until light golden brown, stirring occasionally to ensure they're cooked evenly.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the lemon zest, juice and basil. Stir through and heat for one minute.
- Season and serve topped with freshly shaved pecorino.