I've heard tell of some peculiar people who don't like coconut, apparently some people even hate it. To those people, I'm sorry- today's post is not one you'll enjoy.
This ice cream is all about the coconut. It's rich, decadent with a deep coconut flavour. To that I have added some hefty chunks of coconut-flecked dark chocolate, because I can. Sometimes, it's great to be a grown up.
A quick note: I used coconut sugar, which gives the ice cream a caramel colour and creates a very strong coconut flavour. Feel free to use any sweetener that takes your fancy though.
Vegan Coconut & Dark Choc Chunk Ice Cream
Total time: 20 minutes prep and cooking + cooling time + overnight freezing
- 1x 270ml tin of coconut cream (I used Ayam brand)
- 2x 270ml tins of coconut milk
- 100g coconut sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons corn flour
- 100g vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- Place the coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Add the corn flour to the mix, whisking until smooth and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour the mix into a heatproof container, cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or in a double boiler, add the desiccated coconut and stir until well combined. Let cool for 5-10mins.
- Churn the coconut ice cream in your trusty ice cream maker, following the manufacturer's instructions. In the last couple of minutes of churning, slowly drizzle 3/4 of the chocolate in.
- Scrape the ice cream into a freezable container, pour the remaining chocolate over the top. Cover and freeze until ice-creamy (overnight is best)